Asian Science and Maths Olympiad (ASMO) is a competition platform designed to challenge and evaluate student’s knowledge in Mathematics and Science at their grade level. The questions in the Olympiad will stretch their knowledge and understanding of the concepts. Our syllabus fits nicely into the syllabus that concentrates on non-routine problem-solution to prepare the students for the competition. With the expansion of STEM education worldwide, ASMO certainly answers the need of it. Students will be well prepared with the skills to meet the science and technology challenges.
In Malaysia, ASMO is officially endorsed by Ministry of Education and all participants will obtain curriculum marks. In 2018 alone, Asian Science and Mathematics Olympiad has received 70,000 entries from across the ASEAN countries. We are targeting for the number to increase at 80,000 for 2019.
We are also proud to present that ASMO International is a new effort by ASMO Malaysia which started in 2017 in Pattaya, Thailand. When it was initially launched, the competition was setup via collaboration with ASMOPSS and ASMO Thai was the host for the competition. In 2018, Malaysia has become the host for the competition and it was participated by 10 Asian countries.
The idea of opening up a new competition platform which is ASMO International is to expand the level of competition and to provide more opportunities for primary and secondary school students to experience international engagement. (sc : http://asmo2u.com/about-us)
Berikut ini problems and solution ASMO 2018 grade 2
2. \(A, B, B, C, D, D, D, A, B, B, C, D, D, D, A, B, B, C, D, D, D, …\)
Based on the pattern above, find out the 24th letter.
3. How many triangles are there in the diagram below?
4. Albert reads a book. He has read 26 pages which is half of the book. How many pages does the book have?
5. A piece of wood is cut into 4 segments in 6 minutes. How many minutes are needed to cut the wood into 8 segments?
6. Hung Hung has 28 pencils, Andy has 14 pencils. How many pencils does Hung Hung have to give Andy so that both of them have the same number of pencils?
7. Based on the equation above, what is the value of 10 ‘a’？
8. A child needs 5 minutes to finish eating an apple. How many minutes does it take for 4 children to finish 4 same apples?
9. There are 27 trees. Every child plants 3 trees. How many children are there?
10. Based on the pattern above, find the value of ( ? ).
11. A number, if added by 2, then subtracted by 6, the answer will be 10. What is the number?
12. Based on the diagram below, how many triangles are there?
13. Edmund divides 20 flags into 5 inequal groups. What is the largest number of flags that a group can have?
15. Below is a diagram of 3 arrangements of cuboids labelled with 1，2，3，4，5，6. Which of the following is correct?
(A) 5 at is the opposite of 1
(B) 5 at is the opposite of 4
(C) 6 at is the opposite of 2
(D) None of the above
16. Harry is 5 years old this year. His cousin, Johnson is 3 times older than the age of Harry after two years. What is Johnson’s age this year?
17. 6 sheep eat 96kg of grass in 8 days. On average, how much grass does 1 sheep eat every day?
18. By using these four numbers 7，3，4，2, how many different 4-digit numbers can be made up?
19. It is Tuesday on 1-3-2016. What day is it on 31-3-2016？
20. A type of plant will double its height every day. After 20 days, it has a height of 20 cm. When it has a height of 5cm, how many days has it taken?
21. A pail is fully filled with water, the weight of the pail and water is 20kg. After half of the water is used, the weight of the pail and water is 11kg. What is the weight of the pail?
22. There are 31 apples. How many apples have to be removed so that 9 children can get the same amount of apples? How many apples does every child get?
23. In the range of 0~100，how many times does “5” appear？
24. Use the smallest three-digit number to subtract the largest two-digit number and add the largest single digit number. What is the answer?
25. While doing an addition question, Mulan accidentally viewed 1 as 7 on the ones position and 6 as 9 on the tens position. Her answer is 175. What should be the right answer?